One of the most vital elements to senior health is to keep a sharp mind. As we age, however, this is easier said than done. However, caregivers and family members alike need to realize that a healthy mind leads to a healthy body and overall well-being. This is why it's essential to promote a healthy mindset as much as possible.
AARP's Staying Sharp initiative is all about getting seniors closer to ideal mental health. They've boiled down the essentials of good mental health to 5 key points. Check them out:
- Move - As we said earlier, a healthy mind leads to a healthy body. But that goes both ways. Exercise and light physical activity is recommended and has been proven to benefit one's mental state.
- Discover - New subjects and concepts are the go-to avenues to a better mind. You can find a new passion at any age! Learn a new language, try a new hobby, just get your brain going and enjoy life!
- Relax - Stress and anxiety are terrible for mental health. Rest, relaxation, and meditation does wonders for mental stability and clarity.
- Nourish - As AARP states, stay away from foods high in saturated fats. Instead, lean towards a brain-healthy diet with monosaturated fats. Ingredients like avocados, olive oil and more are always right.
- Connect - Socialization is perhaps one of the most important and necessary steps on this list. Human interaction is crucial at any age. On the other side of things, social isolation is a quick slope to a lackluster mindset.
As you can see, these elements tackle a sharp mind in a very unique way. Caregivers should make sure that each one of these steps is utilized and incorporated into their daily lives.
For more information, check out AARP